Empire is a pure PowerShell post-exploitation agent built on cryptologically-secure communications and a flexible architecture. Empire implements the ability to run PowerShell agents without needing powershell.exe, rapidly deployable post-exploitation modules ranging from key loggers to Mimikatz, and adaptable communications to evade network detection, all wrapped up in a usability-focused framework. It premiered at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9t59w0mUI.
Empire relies heavily on the work from several other projects for its underlying functionality. We have tried to call out a few of those people we’ve interacted with http://www.powershellempire.com/?page_id=2 and have included author/reference link information in the source of each Empire module as appropriate. If we have failed to improperly cite existing or prior work, please let us know.
Empire is developed by https://twitter.com/harmj0y, https://twitter.com/sixdub, https://twitter.com/enigma0x3, https://twitter.com/xorrior, https://twitter.com/424f424f, and https://twitter.com/killswitch_GUI.
Feel free to join us on Slack! http://adaptiveempire.herokuapp.com/
Contributions are more than welcome! The more people who contribute to the project the better Empire will be for everyone. Below are a few guidelines for submitting contributions.
- Submit pull requests to the https://github.com/powershellempire/Empire/tree/dev. After testing, changes will be merged to master.
- Base modules on the template at https://github.com/PowerShellEmpire/Empire/blob/dev/lib/modules/template.py. Note that for some modules you may need to massage the output to get it into a nicely displayable text format https://github.com/PowerShellEmpire/Empire/blob/0cbdb165a29e4a65ad8dddf03f6f0e36c33a7350/lib/modules/situational_awareness/network/powerview/get_user.py#L111.
- Cite previous work in the ’Comments’ module section.
- If your script.ps1 logic is large, may be reused by multiple modules, or is updated often, consider implementing the logic in the appropriate **data/module_source/*** directory and https://github.com/PowerShellEmpire/Empire/blob/0cbdb165a29e4a65ad8dddf03f6f0e36c33a7350/lib/modules/situational_awareness/network/powerview/get_user.py#L85-L95.
- Use https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms714428(v=vs.85.aspx) for any functions.
- PowerShell Version 2 compatibility is STRONGLY preferred.
- TEST YOUR MODULE! Be sure to run it from an Empire agent before submitting a pull to ensure everything is working correctly.
- For additional guidelines for your PowerShell code itself, check out the https://github.com/PowerShellMafia/PowerSploit/blob/master/README.md.